Monday, August 14, 2006

RnR Newsmaker June 2006 - acid android Interview

I: Interviewer
y: yukihiro

acid android's 2nd album 'purification' finally released. Industrial is definitely the main element of it, gothic and hard & pop dance also in it. The tune range from heavy rock to ambient, there are various dynamic sounds. The last song in 'purification' is a beautiful love song. Here, we would discover the inner side of yukihiro-san. There are also two new songs composed in collaboration. Now we will ask some questions.

I: After finishing this album, what is the impression you get?
y: Maa, it was a challenge. This time maybe there's a big difference in how we work. It's a new experiment.

I: Please give the concrete example.
y: If I can get involve in studio like this, I think it's amazing.Though there were a lot of works, this time there were also a lot of things hat make me moved.

I: You put a lot of live drum in it?
y: I think it makes the most difference in the way we work now. I want the drum part sounds natural now.

I: This time, you think it will be good if you put the live drum. What's the reason for that?
y: In the previous album there is a challenge for it. But I think the drum in the previous album is good that way.

I: At that time did you have a strong feeling to put the machine's sound?
y: Yes, it's true. That time I still used industrial. My impression toward body beat hadn't really strong.

I: Though In your previous works you only pushed the 'cool' side, but now, beside putting the live drum into, you also add the singing feel, it makes this entire album more rock.
y: Yes, indeed.

I: What is your satisfaction point?
y: In my previous work, my satisfaction point was simply when I finally finish my works by myself. But now, it's also up to the others' satisfation standard.

I: Now, there are songs that you made with the band members, kishi-san and antz-san, ne.
y: But, the biggest thing is doing the mix. This time, I couldn't do the mix by myself. What would my works be, there was no plan for it.

I: If that's so, mixing of your previous work takes a lot of time, right?
y: So this time I went Berlin (laugh). (In my previous work) when I made a song, I must got the rhythm before the day after.

I: This 'purification' title is beautiful. What is the theme of this album?
y: This is, the love song, ne.

I: What's your thought in putting the tittle 'purification'?
y: I wrote the lyrics about being purified, when the perfection is really accomplished, that image were a lot. The things left are about being purified. By chance, when I was thinking about the song's title and used my computer translation software, what Japanese word I entered, it was the output.

I: It's just a coincidence?
y: Yup, when I input the words, that's the output. What word I input I don't remember. But it's a good word, I think.

I: Do you remember when you felt like your mind becomes white/purified when you made the songs?
y: It's when I was writing the words. The focus of the words was that huge feeling. What should I say. I feel like being purified, ne.

I: Do you have any dormancy desire like that?
y: ... ka naa. What's good to say? For example, in the 10th song 'a lull in the rain' everything seems to be purified by the rain, that's the point. I wonder if there's a thing like that.

I: Do you remember any feeling of being purified related with sounds?
y: Though it's not being purified, when I concentrate, it's like writing my thought. I must be able to find the way to concentrate, therefore it's like being purified. I don't like to be in time like that.

I: When I watch acid live, I have a feeling like falling into white out. Though the sounds are very hard, I can imagine the scene.
y: About being like that, being in such situation, that kind of feeling is really strong, ne. So I like the scecne like that situation. Unexpected and natural things.

I: You like the inside of woods?
y: Yes, yes (laugh)

I: The song 'a lull in the rain' is about 10 minutes long, right? There are rain sound, footstep sound, and another nature sounds, then it continued to hard melody, and when it is listened until end, there are a feeling like being purified.
y: At the beginning the song is 50 minutes long.

I: It's like a soundtrack, isn't it?
y: When I thought about releasing the album CD with 1 song in 1 copy, I've made a song that time. At the beginning it was 52 minutes long. To make it not being DAT, I must reduce the sounds. That's a song I've made more than 10 years ago, from that, I erased the piano phrase only, and I did shuffle on it. So, at the beginning, it's more cheer out, an ambient song.

I: I would like to listen to the long-version someday, ne.
y: KLF released the song that took about 50 minutes in 1 copy of CD, didn't they? That's the song I made that time. I thought of releasing it someday.

I: It was 10 years ago?
y: It was when I was in DIE IN CRIES. We were asked to make BGM.

I: In your previous work, it was Toni Haliday as the feature artist in 'faults'. Now, there is also a duet song with female vocal.
y: She was the one who made the English version from my Japanese lyrics. She lived in America. This one who compose the song wth me (mica asakawa) is a different person.

I: How can you collaborate woth asakawa-san?
y: The song I've made required female vocal, the Bristol one. I also need a person to sing the song. At the beginning, it's asakawa-san who sang it. But th first version is a totally different melody, I've changed the tempo a bit.

I: Is the album title 'purification' the first thing you're thinking about?
y: No, it is the last, when I was in Berlin. It was the only tittle that haven't been decided though the others have. So, the title was deecided in Berlin.

I: Do you think the mix in Berlin was good?
y: There are some good parts, because I've worked in Japanese way, I think maybe that made the mix finished faster. If I worked it all in Japan, maybe it haven't finished yet. (laugh)

I: You will have 2 days live overseas on April, right?
y: L'Arc have done it, so if it's acid who go, won't it be interesting? the staff said then discussed the schedule.

I: Finally, acid android develops overseas, ne.
y: Is it OK? (laugh) I don't understand the music situation there, but it's a pleasure they accept our music, ne.

I: Maybe it's the first time for Chinese people to hear the 'industrial' music.
y: I really don't know that. The fact is, maybe there are people who like it. I think some clubs in China also have techno music, the industrial genre also, so I think there are people who like it. It's out of our mind, isn't it?

I: Audience who enjoy the music become stand up. It's a great impact, right?
y: That kind of way is interesting, ne.

I: All of your national tour is 34 times, what do you expect from that amount of tour?
y: I wish I can give the whole. I hope I can really use the time to do my best. After all, there are some intervals I can use to think about what to do next.

I: You feel special thing about Meguro Rokumeikan (laugh).
y: It's a pleasure. Because we're not performing in Rokumeikan for many days (laugh). It's what I expected ne. It's from Zi Kill time.

I: The hot summer have come, ne. Enjoy!

thx to matsu-san who provide the article scan! ^_^

Note:
  • Information about DAT : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Tape
  • Information about KLF : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_KLF

No comments: